[mythtv] "stable" tag proposal

Eggert Thorlacius eggi-spam at menandmice.com
Tue Mar 22 22:43:10 UTC 2005

On 22.3.2005, at 17:45, Kevin Kuphal wrote:

> Eggert Thorlacius wrote:
>
>> I feel like my question suffered a hostile takeover from another
>> thread :-)  So in an attempt to get back to the original topic: does
>> anyone think that a weekly "stable" tag would be a good idea?
>
> Not necessarily.  Abritrarily marking a particular point in time as
> "stable" is probably not effective.  I think the other proposals in
> the thread about branching out the release line and applying critical
> patches to it would give a stable branch without the risk of the
> stable tag applying to something not really stable.  As it stands,
> mythtv CVS is very stable a great percentange of the time.  I run CVS
> all the time in my house and have really no issues with it related to
> comitted patches.  Then again, I watch the commit list, keep up on the
> dev discussion, and know when something got checked in that is likely
> to break things.

I agree that branching would be a lot better, but my suggestion was
aimed at increasing (preceived) stability for users with practially no
overhead for the developers.  It was not meant to be a fool-proof
guaranteed-to-be-stable strategy.  However, if everyone thinks it is a
dumb idea, I don't really care.  I'm personally quite happy with the
way things are now.  It was just a suggestion.

Eggert