[mythtv] should mythtv be forked?

andrew burke aburke at bitflood.org
Mon Mar 21 18:35:49 UTC 2005

> Right, because what type of repository the source is stored in is
> absolutely integral to the end user experience.

Subversion is, quite simply, a more robust solution than CVS that handles
branches and changesets better.  As such, it makes it easier to maintain a
'stable' branch from which to produce more frequent stable releases.

>> 2) Better project management.
>>      - Better branch management
>>      - Better bug/issue tracking
>>      - Better documentation
>
> Good luck.  I've been trying to get people to help out with that since I
> started this project.  Haven't had a single offer that was actually
> followed up on.

I have offered to help in this area 3 times.  Yes, a requirement of that
help is switching to subversion, which I realize you feel is a big issue,
but it really *is* a much better versioning system than CVS.

> How would that be a fork?  If someone that's proved themselves capable to
> me wanted to do this with the main CVS tree, I'd be happy to let them to
> it. David even offered to maintain the branch in CVS, but not to do the
> releases.

That would be great, but I think this is a bigger priority than you're
taking it as.  To my mind, having a stable branch and doing more point
releases is absolutely critical for mythtv.

>> potential is huge.  It's time to realize that potential and make the
>> changes that have to be made to realize it.
>
> You're quite funny, really. =)

Yet the people emailing me privately about this don't find me overly
amusing... strange.

andy