[mythtv] should mythtv be forked?

Bryan Murphy bryan at terralab.com
Mon Mar 21 18:36:49 UTC 2005

Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Monday 21 March 2005 12:42 pm, andrew burke wrote:
> The reason bugzilla's not linked on the main page is that it's been fairly
> useless, in my opinion.  I get better results handling bugs posted to the
> lists - better feedback from other people, it's more likely that the reporter
> will actually _respond_ if more information is requested, etc.
>
> The main reason I started the bug tracker in the first place is because a lot
> of people _insisted_ that they would help with development more if there was
> a list of bugs for them to fix.  To date, I don't believe a single (external
> to 'main develoeprs') bug fix has come from it.

I just want to point out that this is a chicken and egg scenario.
People don't use it because it's not being used the devs.  The devs
don't use it because nobody else is submitting to it.

If you actually made a concerted effort to use bug tracking, I suspect
things would change.  I know I've looked at the bug list myself only to
come to the conclusion that it was out of date and the list was a better
source of information.

If you want it to work, you have to consistently use it, even when it's
painful.  This has consistently been my experience in my professional
career as a developer.

Bryan