[mythtv] Whats wrong with myth

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Mar 20 01:59:53 UTC 2005

On Sat, Mar 19, 2005 at 04:54:32PM -0800, Brad Templeton wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 19, 2005 at 03:57:57PM -0500, J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
> > Well in my case I had zero issues, I built the driver, installed it as
> > was ready to go (aside from my setting Myth to /dev/video0 instead of
> > /dev/dtv0 at first).  Then again, from day one I've done my homework and
> > not tried to force Linux/Myth to adapt to my hardware and instead bought
> > hardware I knew would less of a hassle.  Every piece of hardware in my
> > Myth machines was chosen after having researched things on the mailing
> > lists.
>
> I would be keen to see your hardware list because I thought I did
> pretty much the same thing -- picked a common and popular distro (Fedora
> Core), the most popular video card (Nvidia fx 5200), a popular motherboard
> chipset (NForce2) and other choices among the most tested (only the
> pcHDTV-3000 was relatively new at the time) and there were still a large
> number of issues.   I was able to solve the issues, but that doesn't
> mean there weren't many.   So if you have the hardware set for a zero
> issue install, I think many would appreciate a writeup.  The main thing
> I could see doing differently might be to go with debian rather than Fedora.

Now, see, this is fun for me.  :-)

I know Donavan from working with him here on MythTV.  And I don't think
anyone who's been on the 'net for more than 5 years or so *doesn't*
know who Brad is.  And I know you're both not cranks.

And yet you have fairly widely divergent opinions on a question.

I feel like Solomon.  :-)

To a certain extent, I think, this mini-controversy comes from the same
place that I'm realizing almost *all* controversae do: difference of
opinion on what the *question* actually is.

And of course the whole thing is complicated more by the fact that the
original poster's message was mostly emotional rather than factual.

But I will concur with Brad: Donovan?  What you runnin'?  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra

      If you can read this... thank a system adminstrator.  Or two.  --me