[mythtv] Re: TS Timing issues

Sun Mar 20 00:54:52 UTC 2005

Hi all,

   A few things... I do appreciate the work that has gone in to myth tv.
  I understand that people did it in their spare time, and I thank them
for that.  It is a great piece of work.  My email was sent in
frustration, which is usually not a good time to hit send.  I'm not
entirely repentant about having sent that email though - it got more
informative responses than my previous, less provocative, posts.

   Taylor: That's great that those other TS issues are fixed.  I
understand that you don't get paid.  No apology is asked for or needed
for being busy.  I also thank you for working on an issue that you
don't personally see.  (It is a pity there is no "international open
source Beer-o-gram" service.)
   Thanks for the information that you are using the standard itself.
That is a useful piece of information, as is the fact that you are
using the MPEG standard rather than the DVB standard.  That is exactly
the sort of information I was after.

   Nathan: I understand lack of time includes email checking.  I only
skim -users.  I also only get digests.  The previous emails I referred
to, where I posted what I thought was useful information and got no
response, were to the -dev list.

   Jesper: I was asking what sort of docs you are using.  I had found
links to a large number of standards, but often they are not the best
place to start, nor did I know which were the best ones to start with
(H222 rather than the DVB ones).  If someone posted asking me about
learning to use some of the robots I program then I'd certainly point
them to the specs, but I'd also point them to some very relevant sample
code and a few other resources that are useful.  Just the one sentence,
"The spec is the best place, and there isn't much else", is a very
helpful response.  I would have loved that response (and if it had
pointed me to the linuxtv web site before I found it myself that would
have been even better).
   Also, there have been a few emails about those TS issues recently.  I
understand that people are busy and responding to email takes time,
which is why I was somewhat frustrated that the response I saw
   i) asked for information that had already been posted,
   ii) responded to a "me too" post, and
   iii) responded to the post that asked for a solution rather than the
post that indicated effort working towards a solution and asked for a
few pointers.

   The point about the subjects of my email is somewhat valid.  The
"Four issues" post did refer to four separate issues, and maybe that in
itself is a problem.  My more specific followup, "Incorrect frame
counts" http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/117680 , has a
fairly specific title, perhaps too specific, but I know that it was
seen by some people following this problem.

   Anyway, I'll look at that patch when I get the time - as I said
before, I'm also pretty busy.  I have the DVB specs.  For various
reasons I'm having trouble getting the mpeg specs online.  I've found
some relevant stuff in the university library, but it is out on loan -
I'll have a look at the dead trees when they get returned.

Be well,

Will          :-}

--
Dr William Uther                           National ICT Australia
Phone: +61 2 9385 6357               Computer Science and Engineering