[mythtv] Whats wrong with myth

Brad Templeton brad+mydev at templetons.com
Sat Mar 19 20:32:19 UTC 2005

On Sat, Mar 19, 2005 at 01:20:13AM -0800, Thomas M. Pluth wrote:
> I'll second that.   HDTV works well on my setup.

Sure, and I have HDTV working too.  He was a bit overbearing saying
it doesn't work.   But it is true that it took a lot of work to get
it going, and I know that's true for a lot of people, and I would
be curious to know if there was even a sizeable group who didn't encounter
some level of snags to fix in making and HDTV box.  What fraction of
people just said "apt-get mythtv-suite" then did some basic config and
had an HD box ready to go?

It's often nothing to do with Myth, but instead the immaturity of the
various drivers for hardware -- video cards and xvideo, tuner cards,
sound drivers for multichannel sound.   People have not been doing this
level of high-res full motion video under linux for very long yet, and
as a result there are more problems, more kinks, fewer people who have
encountered your particular problem and solved it and posted the fix or
work-around.

Of course, if you build myth only for yourself, the problems other people
have in getting it going are not relevant.   If you want the system to
gain more users (and developers) for either philanthropic or selfish
reasons, then you have to listen to the people who announce they are
walking away in frustration.   If they are reasonably skilled linux
users, and they walk away in frustration, it's not their fault, much
as any particular error made can be seen to be their fault.