[mythtv] Re: Weird keypress issues? WAS: Two ugly issues with a fresh install

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Sat Mar 19 17:38:10 UTC 2005

>>> 1. QT/Mythtv seems hosed somehow on it's Cancel/NEXT/BACK buttons.  It
>>> first happened when I ran setup... arrowing around and hitting enter does
>>> *not* actually take effect as it should.  Playing around long enough, it
>>> seems that the buttons are "off".  It's not just mythsetup, nor is it the
>>> atrpms... the first time I tried with vanilla compiled mythtv.  For most
>>> config screens, I need to arrow around to the *top* item and hit return to
>>> actually go "Next."
>
> I noticed this, too. The buttons do not take Enter, but the right arrow.

 	I'm pretty sure I tried every reasonable combination.  It's almost
like the focus and select don't stay in sync.  Something like the button
is in focus when a different button is selected... that's the only way
I've gotten it to press.

> That's the old urw-fonts issue. The easiest work-arround is to use the
> urw-fonts from FC2.

 	Seems pretty odd, but I might give it a try.

>> 	I lied... I'd actually been running the 7127 and the problem went
>> away after downgrading to 6629.
>
> That's ugly. did you use nvidia-graphics-switch?

 	I'd never used that before (but then again I generally rolled my
own mythtv, kernel, and nvidia drivers).  This time, however, I *did* use
it.  I think it's two issues.
- nvidia kernel driver doesn't have an alias in modprobe.conf to just
'nvidia'... only 'nvidia-1.0-XXXX'.  I added another alias and then X will
load it.
- the nvidia-graphics-switch doesn't seem to do its library magic
correctly.  Basically even after running it and loading the correct nvidia
kernel module, the X server barfed due to mismated library versions.  I
did try 'ldconfig' in between but no luck there either.  My workaround was
to uninstall the unused driver version.

  >> 	Problem #1 is still present though.

 	So it's the newest QT updates from Fedora that broke the buttons,
or is it a MythTV bug that was just exposed by the latest updates?

-Cory