[mythtv] Whats wrong with myth

Ben Walding ben at walding.com
Sat Mar 19 09:16:41 UTC 2005

Keith C wrote:

>> A while ago I posted asking if anybody had mythtv - DVICO - HDTV
>> working, and received no replies.
>>
>> The bottom line is HDTV on myth does not work.

I won't say that getting mythtv was easy by any stretch of the
imagination;  but I'm pretty much there with DTV (HDTV is still choppy
for me, but I'm on a WPA WiFi 802.11g network which might explain the
issues?)

Between problems with
 * getting a DVB module loaded (not myth's problem - see
http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~chrisp/Linux-DVB/DVICO/ for reasonable
instructions)
 * getting wireless working (not myth's problem)
 * transcoding
 * fast forward/rewind
 * scaling on widescreen (which has since been fixed)
 * compilation (tried using RPMs first time round without success)
 * configuration of channels
 * deleting channels
 * scanning channels using tzap, consulting local broadcasting
guidelines, and then hacking dvb_pid tables manually
 * recording the correct channels
 * getting TV timetables downloaded correctly
 * having to hack mysql tables directly
 * finding simple configuration options hidden away (eg. skinning the OSD)
and more...

It's been a hard slog.  I've got it all mostly working (still doesn't
record some channels correctly).  Now admittedly, I've got some (old)
C++ skills and I know my way around Linux pretty well.

I imagine the userbase is divided into a couple of groups of people
a) people who it just works for. (including Knoppix users)
b) people who can and enjoy tinkering
c) tenacious people who ask a billion questions on the lists
d) everyone else would have given up

The one burning question I have is simple: WHERE IS THE BUG TRACKER?

Don't take this as a negative post, I love the concept, the working
product is quite nice, but getting there is a helluva journey (well it
was for me).

Cheers,

Ben