[mythtv] eden machines (was firewire problems)

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sat Mar 12 00:27:32 UTC 2005

On Friday 11 March 2005 15:25, andrew burke wrote:
> > I've since moved the cable box to another machine, which has a PCI
> > FireWire card, and all is well again.
>
> This is plugged into a shuttle XPC machine's onboard firewire.  I would
> not be surprised if that was part of the problem.
>
> That machine is pretty loud, so we had been considering switching to
> something quieter, like one of the Eden-based boxes with no fans.
>
> Has anyone tried mythtv with these boxes?

Quite a few people are using assorted EPIA boxes, but I'm assuming you're
asking about the new ones with the Unichrome Pro CN400 graphics chips. Not
sure how many folks have used those.

> Are they capable of handling the encoding/decoding?

Of? HDTV recording requires no encoding, you're just writing mpeg2 to disk.

> Ideally it would be capable of handling HDTV.

I don't think anyone has tried decoding HDTV with one of the new EPIAs w/the
CN400 chipset. It'd definitely have to be done in hardware, there's nowhere
near enough cpu there.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com