[mythtv] Suspend To RAM (S3)

David Collett david.collett at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 08:39:10 UTC 2005

I'm not sure thats necessarily the best solution either though...

If you simply suspend on a keypress, how do you (say):
1. not suspend if currently recording?
2. auto wakeup for next recording?

Mythbackend contains this functionallity, so why not let it do all the work?
On my system, when I exit the frontend, the backend, if recording will
continue to record. If idle it will suspend the machine, but before it
does it will set an acpi alarm to wakeup for the next scheduled
recording. Note that during suspend, the frontend and the backend are
shut down.

Upon resuming, the backend is started up again. Upon starting, the
backend will determine if it was woken automatically to record, or
manually by a human based on the current time as compared to the next
recording time, it will then start the frontend only if woked by a
human.

This is all achieved by using built-in mythbackend functionallity.
Look at the 'setup' program, it lets you set arbitrary commands on
events such as pre-shutdown, shutdown, set wakeup etc.

This method may take a few seconds longer than suspending with the BE
& FE already running, but it is very powerfull.

Dave