[mythtv] Re: Proposed alternate behaviour for show delete

Aran Cox spin667 at mchsi.com
Thu Mar 10 21:07:13 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 12:38:36PM -0500, Tony Lill wrote:
> > I really like Isaac's idea of using the original show priority.
>
> Bad, bad idea! Most of my priorities are set to get around
> deficiencies in the scheduler. I think I only have one based on the
> actual 'desirability' of the show.
>
> Maybe I'm just an old fart, but I like computer programs that do
> exactly what I tell them, no more and no less. Adding all this
> complexity gives me the willies! If the problem you are trying to
> solve is accidental deletes, fix the UI that causes the accident!

I guess I interpret priority as "how important is the show to me."
So, using it as a factor in determining what to delete when the disk
is full is perfectly natural.  Also, using priority in the autoexpire
code is far less complex than all the other "solutions" proposed in
this thread.

I'm curious as to what problem you see with the scheduler and how you
use priorities to "fix" it.  The only way I can see this being useful
to fix anything is if you don't have the "allow later recordings"
thing turned on.  I can't remember what it's called or where it is
in the options but I think it allows a higher priority recording
with multiple showings to be "bumped" to a later recording time to
allow a lower prio recording (probably with only one air time) to be
recorded.

Or, if you have issues that require monkey games with priority, try
adding another tuner card.  Nothing solves scheduling conflicts like
another card!