[mythtv] Re: Proposed alternate behaviour for show delete

Mark Crutch markc at qsiuk.com
Thu Mar 10 17:07:57 UTC 2005

Personally I would love to have an undelete facility.

I'm one of those users who has autoexpire switched on, but who also
manually deletes. I have autoexpire switched on as a "safety net" in
case I haven't deleted enough shows before I get low on disk space - I'd
rather lose something which obviously wasn't important enough to have
watched yet, in favour of a new recording. This has happened a few times
now because I have a tendency to tell Myth to record films to watch on a
rainy day, which can obviously eat up space quite quickly.

Usually I manually delete after I've watched something, or sometimes
just because I've changed my mind about a show and want to lose it from
my Watch Recordings screen. Either way my motivation is to keep the
Watch Recordings screen under control and only listing things I haven't
watched yet.

I can think of a few different situations that I have been in when I
would have liked to have an undelete facility:

1) I had watched a recording and deleted it. A day or two later I was
talking to a friend about it, but he'd missed it. If I'd been using a
VCR there would have been a good chance of it still being present on the
tape for him to watch, but with Myth it was gone forever.

2) At the moment I only have one tuner, so I occasionally get the end of
one show on the start of another recording. I've lost count of the
number of times I've watched the second show first, mentally noted that
I mustn't delete it because it's got part of the other program on, then
at the end of the show accidentally let my muscle memory take over. The
fingertips do their automatic thing, and the recording is gone.

3) There have been one or two occasions when I've deleted something
based on scathing comments about a show from one person, only to find
that someone else thought it was really good. It would be nice to be
able to undelete in this case to make my own mind up. Perhaps I just
need more consistent friends ;)

4) There's been one occasion when I've deleted a show because I thought
it was a late night repeat of one I'd already seen; it turned out that
the broadcasters had decided to move the show to another timeslot.

Mark