[mythtv] Proposed alternate behaviour for show delete

Wed Mar 9 21:42:18 UTC 2005

Hi all,

Brad wrote:

> I would roughly sort the expire pools as follows:
>
>     a) Never-expire shows       = 0
>     b) Unwatched shows          = 100
>     c) Watched shows            = 200
>     d) "suggestions" (possibly more than one pool)  = 300
>     e) Shows manually cleared for removal   +1000 to earlier number
>
> Within each pool, one sorts by date, however there are some alternate
> internal sorts which might make sense.   For example, explicit solo
> recordings and non-rerun episodes might stand ahead of reruns and
> find-all recordings.   Ie. if you explicitly asked for something,
> protect
> it more.

If there is a strict sort order (sort by 'autoexpire' first, then by
date), then there is no difference between this and

>     a) Never-expire shows       = 0
>     b) Unwatched shows          = 1
>     c) Watched shows            = 2
>     d) "suggestions" (possibly more than one pool)  = 3
>     e) Shows manually cleared for removal   = 4

Right?

The different numbers would only have an effect if they were being
combined with something else...

Isaac wrote:

> I think the various existing options work for most purposes (oldest
> first,
> show limit, do/don't record new if there's a show limit, disabled for a
> recording id, etc).  Using the original recording priority would be a
> decent
> extension, as would based on if it were watched or not.
>
> I still don't see the point for an undelete function if autoexpire's
> explicitly turned on.

I tend to agree with Isaac.  But note that there are two parts to his
response:

a) The undelete may not be so useful, given that you can...
b) Improve the autoexpire so that it gets things right.

I read this as just a call to get b) right.

I use the show limit function to actually limit the number of
recordings (I only ever want one recording of the daily news).  I also
use it as a rough 'autoexpire' tuner. (We get 3 Simpsons episodes a
day.  I don't want a tide of Simpsons episodes causing all my other
shows to auto-expire, so I set a show limit on it.)

I really like Isaac's idea of using the original show priority.

I wonder if a linear combination might work here.  When deleting, shows
are ordered by:

delete priority = weightA * time since recorded - weight2 * record
priority + weight3 * watched_flag

The highest 'delete priority' show is deleted.

This way I can have watched shows being deleted first, then a trade off
between shows of high record priority that I haven't watched in two
weeks and lower record priority shows that are being recorded today.

I'm sure that the formula above could be tuned, but I thought I'd
mention the concept.

Cheers,

Will        :-}

--
Dr William Uther                           National ICT Australia
Phone: +61 2 9385 6357               Computer Science and Engineering