[mythtv] Proposed alternate behaviour for show delete

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 9 15:51:00 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 09 March 2005 8:34, James Armstrong wrote:

> >> This proposed alternate behaviour requires minor changes to a
> >> number of
> >> different segments, so I thought I would propose it here before
> >> attempting
> >> any coding on it.
> >>
> >> As you may not know, autoexpire is not just a boolean, it is a
> >> number.
> >> Programs with a higher autoexpire number expire before anything
> >> with a
> >> lower number.  Programs with 0 never autoexpire.

True, I did not know that :-)
Cool.

> Tivo has something similar. Recorded shows that are not marked as
> 'Keep
> until delete' will automatically expire after a time period. It is not
> based on how many recordings of each show there is, it is based on how
> old it is. When a show is first recorded it has a Green happy face
> next
> to the recording in the list. It will hang around for so many days
> then
> it will be marked with a Yellow icon indicating it will expire soon.
> It
> will not be deleted to make room for other shows until it hits the
> Red /
> expired point. That way new recordings have time to be watched and
> will
> be marked for deletion when it needs to be. It will only be deleted to

Now *this* I like... and something Myth could approximate easily.  Just
add a flag to the recording schedule called "Program aging", or
whatever.  Periodically (maybe whenever the scheduler runs, but doesn't
really need to be more than once daily), check the autoexpire value of
a program, and increment it once per day if it's non-zero.  This would
allow some newer recordings to be expired before older ones.  As in:

A few weeks ago I recorded the miniseries "The 4400".  I haven't gotten
around to watching it yet (let's assume for the moment that for some
reason auto-expire is enabled).  I also have "Inside the Actors'
Studio" set up to record with no episode limit.  Now, as frequently
happens, a bunch of episodes if ItAS will pile up on my system; chances
are if I haven't watched it in a week, I'm not going to/don't care.
I'd really like for an 1-1/2-week-old episode of ItAS to be expired
before my 2-3 week-old "The 4400".  If episodes of ItAS "aged" but "The
4400" didn't, then that's exactly what would happen.

-JAC