[mythtv] [patch] automagic settings.pro (version 6)

Jeremiah Morris jm at whpress.com
Tue Mar 1 21:20:46 UTC 2005

On Mar 1, 2005, at 3:28 PM, Daniel Thor Kristjansson wrote:

> ]I just checked in a slight settings.pro change for the Mac.
> ]You can now change this part of your patch from:
> ]+        QMAKE_CXXFLAGS_RELEASE = $$OPTFLAGS
> done

Your patch is still against the old settings.pro, so it'll cause
crashes on the old version and won't apply on the new version...

> ]2) Note that -altivec is now included twice. Need to
> ]   remove the Altivec support block from settings.pro
>
> I've removed it, but I also had to add
> debug {
>     # make sure we still get altivec support
>     contains( TARGET_ARCH_POWERPC, yes ) {
>         QMAKE_CXXFLAGS_RELEASE = $$OPTFLAGS -O2 -g
>     }
> }
> So that the altivec settings get picked up in debug as well.

I thought QMAKE_CXXFLAGS_RELEASE wouldn't be used in debug mode?
Besides, we wouldn't want the optimization settings there, there's no
difference between debug and profile under OS X that way.

It would probably be simpler to treat the Altivec flags like the arts
or directfb flags, and add them into QMAKE_CXXFLAGS outside of the
config settings. If you use *= instead of +=, they shouldn't be
duplicated even when they're included via $$OPTFLAGS.

> I'm not setting any extra USING_ defines for now. I think
> it's a good idea, just so someone doesn't begin using one
> of these defines, thinking it will work, and then ending
> up debugging the configure script. But the arguement
> against it is that it is just chaff on the compiler
> command line, I'd like to hear what other developers
> think.

My vote is to include them in config.h instead of the command line.
Anything that needs one of the USING_ defines should include config.h
and get it from there.

One other thing: is there a reason why you build CCONFIG and
CONFIG_DEFINES immediately, instead of waiting for the creation of
config.mak and config.h? That would save on duplicate tests -- the
script is large enough without having two test blocks for each feature.

- Jeremiah