[mythtv] Re: New idea for storing recordings to disks

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Wed Jun 29 22:13:15 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 09:50:29AM -0400, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> Here's a pie-in-the-sky thought (and I realize this is probably *way*
> overkill, but it's an interesting idea nonetheless).  What if Myth had
> a sort of virtual filesystem?  That is, not a filesystem per se, but
> more of a content management layer, where a recording could be 'sliced'

I think that's a bad idea personally. UNIX design philosopy is to split
up systems into small components that connect together. The kernel is
good at aggregating storage (RAID, LVM etc) so don't replicate that in
the application.

I don't really understand why you wouldn't just put enough disk space in
the backend. Disk is cheap.

Hamish