[mythtv] uc: Xtraview patch

Stephen Williams stephen.gw at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 09:39:49 UTC 2005

On 6/29/05, Hamish Moffatt <hamish at cloud.net.au> wrote:
> Wouldn't it be better if Myth had support for interactive TV
> (using MHP) so that you could select those channels properly?
> (And pay for them...)
>
> I don't see any real need to enter the PIDs manually - the MPEG
> metadata is designed to tell you all that information.

The standard for interactive TV in the UK is MHEG-5, not MHP.

I agree, it would be best to have interactive TV support but that's
currently not on the horizon. I've seen a few attempts at implementing
MHEG-5 (e.g. http://sourceforge.net/projects/freemheg/) but nothing
that's ever released any code. Plus, manual PID editing would provide
for more than just what the current xtraview patch provides, e.g.
working around broken service providers that aren't adhering to
standards, allowing the old DVB radio work-around, etc.

I think there quite a few instances where manual PID editing would be
advantageous and (hopefully) it should be much easier / quicker to
implement than full interactive TV support.

Steve