[mythtv] usability bug in mythfrontend

Nigel Pearson nigel at ind.tansu.com.au
Tue Jun 28 22:56:59 UTC 2005

>>> being able to use up and down to change channel in the live tv mode
>>> is
>>> great, but if the same buttons are used for a completely different
>>> purpose in the recording mode, its not.
>>
>> This is not a default is it?  I'm pretty sure that you would need to
>> bind the up and down arrow keys yourself.  In either case, this sort
>> of
>> dangerous binding should be deterred.

	How dangerous? So you lose the Live TV buffer.
No different to watching a normal live or streamed TV.
If the thing being watched wasn't important enough to
have been recorded, then its loss is hardly dangerous.

	If you use Live TV a lot, then set the setting that
confirms before changing if behind real time, and enable
channel browse mode.

> It is the default, or at least it was a while ago. When playing a
> recording, up/down jump by 10 minutes (or whatever is configured). In
> live TV mode they change channel. So if you try to jump 10 minutes in
> live TV mode, you change channel and lose your buffer.

	It did bug me, so I changed the key bindings about a
year ago (I think I used MythWeb). Plus and Minus change
channels, and up and down do the big jump. There is a small
problem with the way these are interpreted (e.g. after
changing channel with them, the Up and Down keys also
seem to change channel), but it works.

1) I would imagine that most people with a real remote
(i.e. with a channel up and down button) would have done this?

2) I have never proposed changing the initial/compiled-in
default because for people using a PC keyboard, being able
to change the channels with Up and Down is much more intuitive
than having to use some other keys.

--
Nigel Pearson, nigel at ind.tansu.com.au | "In this city I confess
Telstra BI&D, Sydney, Australia       |  god is mammon, more is less