[mythtv] libmythsoundtouch compile error in 0.18.1

Sage sage at gypsycaravan.com
Sun Jun 26 21:09:51 UTC 2005

I posted this to mythtv-users, but it's looking like this is a
question better suited for the dev list... my apologies for the
duplication.

I'm trying to compile MythTV version 0.18.1 from source on a box
running Debian 3.1 (stable).  I've installed the packaged lirc and
mysql, along with associated development packages.  I've compiled QT-
embedded and LAME from source.  I do not have X11 or DirectFB
installed, as I am using a Hauppauge PVR-350 card for output to my
television and therefore that should not be necessary.  I also have
not installed ALSA -- I am trying to use OSS instead, for now.

./configure works fine, but when I do a make, the compile eventually
exits with the following error:

g++ -c -pipe -DQWS -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -march=pentium4 -O3 -
Wall -Wno-switch -fomit-frame-pointer -fPIC -DPIC -D_REENTRANT  -DMMX
-Di386 -DUSING_IVTV -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DPREFIX=\"/
usr/local\" -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/
local/src/qt-embedded-free-3.3.4/mkspecs/default -I. -I../../../../
include -I../.. -I/usr/local/src/qt-embedded-free-3.3.4/include -o
FIRFilter.o FIRFilter.cpp
FIRFilter.cpp: In member function `virtual void
     FIRFilter::setCoefficients(const SAMPLETYPE*, unsigned int,
unsigned int)':
FIRFilter.cpp:173: error: exception handling disabled, use -
fexceptions to
     enable
FIRFilter.cpp: In static member function `static void*
FIRFilter::operator
     new(unsigned int)':
FIRFilter.cpp:223: warning: `operator new' must not return NULL
unless it is
     declared `throw()' (or -fcheck-new is in effect)
make[2]: *** [FIRFilter.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/mythtv-0.18.1/libs/
libmythsoundtouch'
make[1]: *** [sub-libmythsoundtouch] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/mythtv-0.18.1/libs
make: *** [sub-libs] Error 2

If I do "./configure --extra-cxxflags=-fexceptions" then the compile
finishes with no errors, but seeing as how there is already an
explicit "-fno-exceptions" I figure that isn't the best way to solve
this problem.

Can anyone tell me what's causing this error?  Am I missing a library
or an environment variable somewhere?  I have tried installing ALSA
as well as DirectFB but this doesn't solve the problem.  If anyone
has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.