[mythtv] (ATTN: John Pullan) HD-3000 HD Digital TV over Cable Working - But I had to hack to do it...

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cat.nyu.edu
Tue Jun 21 12:10:45 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 22:44 -0400, Christiaan Lutzer wrote:

> Anyway, onto why this message is appropriate for this email list: I
Sure, if there is code in the message it's almost always appropriate.

> 1.) Allow one to specify a channels.conf file if your card is of type ATSC, and
> 2.) Modified the DVBConfParser to read in the program number from
> channels.conf if the card type is ATSC.
<snip>

> Now, to me, if you want to use MythTV to record and view HD and SD
> Digital TV, it would be very difficult programmatically to determine
> what frequency and program number corresponded to what XMLTV ID.  So,
> to me anyway, channels.conf seems like the way to go.
Actually not so hard, I'm working on a channel scanner which fetches
the XMLTV ID. Plus, I've made the full scan much faster so I don't
think we need this.

> Does this hack make sense?  Is there a better way to do it?  Am I nuts?
It makes sense, it would probably have been applied 3 weeks ago,
but since there will be an XMLTV id preserving/fetching scanner
soon it doesn't make sense to apply it.

> Side question: You may have noticed that I added a non-HD stream, "GBH
> Kids DTV".  This captures and plays fine using VLC, but locks up
> mythfrontend.  Any idea why HD would work, but SD would lock up the
> frontend?
Nope, it should work fine. You might want to run the frontend with
"-v playback" and look at the output...

Since this is coming from cable though, it might be that some of the
required psip tables are missing for LoFi recordings. Can you play
the recordings as made by MythTV, or just the recordings from some
other program?

-- Daniel