[mythtv] Compiler Tuning Flags

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Mon Jun 20 06:40:21 UTC 2005

>>Since I installed Gentoo, I've discovered that a lot of things can
>>turn out to be a compiler flag issue, especially if you like to use
>>-Os. For some reason, GCC just does weird things with -Os sometimes. ;)
>>

>Which is why Myth, by default, doesn't use aggressive compiler options.

I thought -Os was considered to be the opposite of aggressive?

The manual suggests that it's kind of like -O2 but with any tests that
generate bulky code turned off.

Usually the boys trying to knock holes in gentoo pick out the -Os flag
and claim that we should all use that rather than -O2/-O3 because it
would make things faster...

Ed W