[mythtv] multicast mpeg2 as an input (iptv discussion cont.)

Unit3 unit3 at demoni.ca
Thu Jun 16 15:26:50 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 16:30 -0400, Keith Irwin wrote:
> If it's just a straight MPEG-2 stream over IP, that should be pretty
> simple.  If there's a little more to headers and stuff, you should
> still be able to handle it.  Try using netcat to connect to them and
> redirect the output to a file and then see if mplayer will play it.  If
> so, it should be a piece of cake.

Ok, I did some testing last night, and had some problems with multicast.
I put a second network card in my machine, so that I could have the
primary going to my LAN (and the internet) and the second going to the
connection that has the multicast feed. I *could not* get my machine to
join the multicast group from the secondary NIC, and I ruled out driver
issues by switching around the driver loading sequence and cables (ie,
switching eth0 and eth1). It seems like my box only wants to join
mulicast on the interface with the default route, which is highly
annoying to me. I even added a route for 224.0.0.0/4 on the secondary
NIC, both normally and as a multicast route, and it never seems to pick
it up. In any case, I now know I just have to switch my network cables
around to play with multicast.

I did some testing, and while I could get netcat to listen on the proper
IP and port, it doesn't seem to know how to tell the kernel to join the
multicast group, so it never gets any packets. I think tonight I'll just
use VLC to dump the output from the network to a file, and then just
take a look at the data that file contains, verify that it's just a
plain MPEG2 TS.

And then maybe after that I'll get to looking at some actual code. ;P