[mythtv] Attn: MythRecipe developers

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Tue Jun 14 06:43:47 UTC 2005

As promised, I am announcing the completion (well, proof-of-concept,
anyway) of a totally new way of interacting with recipe information.

Through some pretty hefty regular expressions and a lot of time talking
with my wife about how recipes should be entered (she's a professional
cook, so I figured she'd be a good resource), I now have what I hope is
the first completely plain-text recipe parser:

(proof of concept)
http://cooktools.forevermore.net/test

What this means:  no more xml storage formats, copy-paste of (hopefully)
 > 95% of people's existing recipes, support for far more varied forms
of recipe than anything else currently out there (open source or
otherwise), at least that I can find.

Why Myth?

Well, when I started working on this, MythRecipe was in its infancy, and
seemingly hasn't moved much further.  I don't use my mythbox near a
kitchen, but I've had many people say they'd like a myth-integrated
recipe database to accompany my web-based one.  I want to provide the
best possible recipe/ingredient database available, and I figured that
you might appreciate a totally new viewpoint on digital recipe storage.

Why you?

I'm a scripting guy.  The current recipe-parsing library is in PHP. I
plan to write an accompanying one in perl.  I can't code in C anymore
(way too out of practice), but I thought that it'd be awesome to create
a standard library for dealing with this sort of thing.  It'd make
MythRecipe better, and would open up the ability for other programs to
do the same.

Anyway, if you're interested, let me know.

-Chris