[mythtv] Air2PC 5th Gen Status / Misc. DVB Updates

Brandon Beattie brandon+myth at linuxis.us
Thu Jun 9 17:14:59 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 01:17:48PM -0400, Taylor Jacob wrote:
> Quoting Brandon Beattie <brandon+myth at linuxis.us>:
> <snip>
> > Interesting.. I haven't seen effects that have made a huge difference on
> > my signals.. 2%-3%.  I guess placement is probably most critical thing,
> > regardless of the tuner card...  Mine is on the back of a home, about 35
> > feet off the ground.. no metal near it at all, and it's a 15-20 mile
> > shot to the tower.. LOS.  My lowest signal is 88% or so, and most are
> > 94-98% with the HD-3000's..
>
> Key thing.. LOS.. I can't see any of the towers in the horizon and I have 2 uhf
> yagis on my roof stacked.. They are 1000 ft sticks but due to the terrain here
> I am screwed.. Where abouts are you at in the country?
>
> Taylor

SLC Utah, the towers are on the western mountains and I'm up on the
eastern mountains.  The valley is below, and could give a fair bit of MP
hitting whatever is down there though too... I did angle my
antenna about 5 degrees north, because I did see a more jumpy signal
directly at the towers.. I run through 350' of cat 6 and 2 1-4
splitters, use a $20 small yaggi from radio shack and no amplifier..

--Brandon