[mythtv] Air2PC 5th Gen Status / Misc. DVB Updates

Brandon Beattie brandon+myth at linuxis.us
Thu Jun 9 16:03:33 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 11:07:30AM -0400, Keith Irwin wrote:

> Besides, I get multipath when someone stands near the antenna or in
> just the wrong place in the room and used to get it in my apartment if
> there was a car waiting outside beneath the line between my antenna and
> the stations.  And it's likely that I was seeing some form of multipath
> from terrain because the best reception for WRAL and for WRAZ were
> often acquired at slightly different directions, and both of those
> broadcast antennas are on the same tower.  (I live in the suburbs of
> Raleigh, significantly away from downtown).  It hasn't been a
> difficulty since WRAZ moved up to regular strength, but when they were
> only at test broadcast strength, it made it tough.  Multipath may not
> be as big a deal if you've got a nice rooftop antenna, but it shows up
> a lot when you've only got an indoor antenna, even if it's a
> directional one.

Interesting.. I haven't seen effects that have made a huge difference on
my signals.. 2%-3%.  I guess placement is probably most critical thing,
regardless of the tuner card...  Mine is on the back of a home, about 35
feet off the ground.. no metal near it at all, and it's a 15-20 mile
shot to the tower.. LOS.  My lowest signal is 88% or so, and most are
94-98% with the HD-3000's..

--Brandon