[mythtv] Incompatibility of PIP and XvMC

Terry Barnaby terry1 at beam.ltd.uk
Tue Jun 7 05:42:12 UTC 2005

Ivor Hewitt wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 Jun 2005 03:09, Isaac Richards wrote:
>
>>On Monday 06 June 2005 10:07 pm, Kevin Ruland wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all
>>>
>>>I am interested in implementing Picture-in-Picture for XvMC-vld
>>>accellerated systems.  I noticed in the XvMC header support for
>>>subpictures.  Has anyone looked at trying to use the XvMCSubpictures to
>>>support PIP?  Anything I should know before I dig in?
>>
>>I don't think a 16 color PiP is worth the effort.
>>

> Indeed.  Although the xvmc-colour-osd patch included 8 colour pip, but just
> for fun really. :-) Unfortunately it's broken at the moment until I have time
> to catch up with Daniels second osd code reorg.
>
> Having said that the CLE266/CN400 should have enough spare horsepower to be
> able to decode two mpeg streams simultaneously and scale down to a pip sized
> image.
>
> Obviously a significant amount of work to achieve though.

Hi,

As Ivor stated I think the CLE266 can decode, in hardware, two MPEG
streams. The problem is the output scaler and display.
I understand that the CLE266 does have two video overlay engines
so this may be possible or the 3D engine could be used to emulate
a video overlay. Memory bandwidth may be a problem ...

Kevin, it might be worth you joining the Unichrome (Via graphics
device driver) mail list and asking a few questions ...

Terry