[mythtv] Request: please fix channel up/down and watch live TV defaults forDVB:HD tuners

Mudit Wahal mwahal at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 23:15:07 UTC 2005

On 6/2/05, Isaac Richards <ijr at case.edu> wrote:
> On Thursday 02 June 2005 06:29 pm, Mudit Wahal wrote:
> > Well, I'm impatinet man :-)
> >
> > So I just build the mythfrontend with some debugs in
> > mythcontext:GetSettings function. I wanted to know what is being
> > passed as ChannelOrder default value !
> >
> > I see everything being queried except the ChannelOrder ! Go figure !
> >
> > But with 0.18.1 frontend, the behaviour is different ! (Someone fixed
> > a booboo ?? I dont see channum+0 in the sql query .. come on .. fess
> > up .. who fixed it in 0.18.1... and was still silent while I was being
> > thrashed left and right by Sir Isaac !!!!!!)
>
> Err, the ChannelOrder setting is read at startup by the backend.  This hasn't
> changed in years (literally).  All you had to do was restart the backend
> process, and it would have worked just fine with 0.18.

Hmm.. how was I supposed to know you have to restart the backend after
I changed settings in frontend ?
(as you know, i'm still waiting to be enrolled in mythingarten .. so i
can speak and dream mythlish :-) then it would have occurred to me
that i need to restart the backend !
Once I enroll in mythingarten, I promise I'll read the code right from
version 0.1.0 :-) Then you wont have to treat us like newbees :-)

> > I'm wondering why did it skip 7_1 ? Does "65_1" < "7_1" in strings
> > comparions ?
>
> Uh, yes?  6 < 7.  As I've said multiple times, just assign real channel
> numbers if you want better operation.

Okay, but the real channel numbers will mess up the programming guide
etc, as the guide (or the programs which fill the HD channels) are in
x_y format !

So, myth has to consider x_y channel numbers and do the comparison
based on x and  then on y separately. The channel numbers being
broadcasted by stations are also in x_y format. So, the OTA HD users
are used to x_y. It'll be nice if myth adjust itself to the real
channel numbers for HD instead of forcing users to alternative format.

I really like mythtv and see great potential. I'm trying to learn and
willing to contribute too.

Thanks
Mudit