[mythtv] Request: please fix channel up/down and watch live TV defaults forDVB:HD tuners

Mudit Wahal mwahal at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 03:44:03 UTC 2005

Running mythtv-0.18, DVB drivers for HD3000.
There are two things broken in DVB:HD3000.

1. Watch Live TV
2. Channel up/down click skips channels.

Watch Live TV
____________

First problem is that Watch Live TV is tied to cardinput.startchan for
the DVB and not to the default tv channel. Seems like startchan is not
being initialized or set by the user anywhere. So the default from the
sql statement is always 3. Since 3 is invalid number for HD channels,
you simply cant watch live TV.

The fix is to ask user at the mythtv-setup time for correct channel
number if he is configured DVB+HD3000 card.

This is my quick and dirty fix in /etc/default/mythtv-backend. This is
the last line.

mysql -D mythconverg -e "update cardinput set startchan='11_1'"

Channel up/down problems
_______________

The HD channels have numbers like "2_1", "2_2", "5_1" and so on. I
think the data from zap2it also comes for these corresponding
channels. My line up has channels like 2_1, 2_2, 4_1, 4_2, 5_1, 7_1,
7_2, 11_1, 11_2, etc etc.

After I've fixed the Watch Live TV problem with the above fix and then
use up/down arrow keys, I dont seem to get 2_1, 4_1, 11_1, etc etc. I
can enter them from the keyboard, by entering 2 _ 1 <ENTER>. But they
dont come up in channel click thru.

The problem is that mythtv assumes the channel.channum is ALWAYS
integer. It add/subtracts 0, 1, etc in the sql queries to get to the
next/previous channel numbers. But its storing the channum as
varchar(5). This mixture of integer and char doesn't fit well for the
HD lineup. So, it'll always somehow skip _1 channels and jump to _2
channels.

If I modify the channum from 2_1 to 21, 2_2 to 22, 5_1 to 52 and so
on, then I can click thru every single channel in my line up ! But it
breaks the mythfilldatabase as its looking for channel numbers 2_1,
2_2 and not for 21, 22.

One quick and dirty fix will be to do that arithmathetic operation and
then convert it back to  varchar when searching in database. Say
current channel is 2_1, it becomes 21. Then you  add one to it to get
22. But you insert a _ before the last digit and search for string
2_2.

Or have a channel and a sub channel. So for 2_1, channel is 2 and sub
channel is 1.

Thanks for reading so far.
Mudit