[mythtv] Channel change slow....

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Sun Jul 31 15:11:32 EDT 2005

>RingBuffer.cpp
>
>There are a few places where it waits for a full 256K before doing
>anything. 30 frames may take as little as 100K so this can account
>for about 2-3 seconds. And some of the timeouts on waiting for the
>buffer to fill are LONG, and there is no mechanism for flushing to
>disk based on time rather than buffer fill... You might also want to
>start live TV at 90% of real speed and speed up to 100% when the
>excess buffer has grown to at least 2-3 MB ahead.

I think also there is a lot of sync stuff waiting for playback to pause
and audio to pause, etc, etc.  I have tried a few patchsets on this in
the past and also reduced the buffering and you can drop the wait times
by a couple of secs easily.  I haven't submitted anything because I
don't really understand it all that well so it's a bit of a hack

I hope someone who understands this better will do some optimisation
because it's currently really wasting a lot of unneccesary time.

Finger crossed...

Ed W

P.S.  I can't see any reason to sync on the audio pausing...