[mythtv] Internal Volume Control

Drew Lane drew.lane at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 30 18:03:44 EDT 2005

Myth 0.18.1
ALSA Sound - VIA 82xx

Having trouble getting the volume control to work correctly in Myth;
I can hear the audio, but it's always at full volume.

I can see the OSD with the volume meter going up and down but I
always get full volume at any level (other than zero, which does mute
the sound).

I've got Myth selected to handle the Internal Volume control in General
setup.

I'm currently using "ALSA:default" for the "audio output device", but
"/dev/dsp"
works also.

For the "mixer device", I'm using "/dev/mixer".  This is the only path
that doesn't
cause an error when trying to watch TV.  I have also tried "default",
"ALSA:default",
"ALSA:hw:0,0", "ALSA:hw:16,0", "/dev/mixer0", and a number of other
parameters,
but they all cause errors.

What should I set this to?

When I look at alsamixer, the Master and PCM volumes will not budge and the
"VIA DXS" slider is the only control that actually adjusts the sound volume.

More info from /proc/asound:

#cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [V8235]: VIA8233 - VIA 8235 VIA 8235 with CMI9761 at 0xe000, irq 22

# cat /proc/asound/devices
 17: [0- 1]: digital audio playback
 25: [0- 1]: digital audio capture
 16: [0- 0]: digital audio playback