[mythtv] Mythweb patch to add more fields for editing QAM channels

Christiaan Lutzer mythtv.lutzer at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 23:08:23 EDT 2005

About service ids...

A good way to think about it is that what you are capturing off your
HD card is a Multi-Program Transport Stream (MPTS).  You can see this
by looking at the PAT.  The service ID refers to a specific program in
the MPEG-2 MPTS.  In the U.S., cable providers like Comcast, Time
Warner, Cablevision, etc. implement VOD by supplying set tops with a
frequency and program number to tune to (let's forget about Motorola
plants and Virtual Channel Numbers for now).  Anyway, given a
frequency and program number, a client can tune to the MPEG-2 MPTS
multiplex, examine the PAT and locate the PMT PID associated with
their program number.  Once you have the PMT, you can figure out with
PIDs in the MPTS belong to you.  So, it's basically a big mess of
lookup tables, but ultimately, given a program number (service ID in
MythLand), you can figure out which PIDs are your video and audio (and
potentially data, encryption PIDs, etc.) and demux them into your
player.

To be as robust as possible, you would always want to NOT specify your
audio and video PIDs for a given program, because they can change,
unlikely they will, but they can.  In the U.S. under QAM 256, all you
need is frequency and program number given an MPEG-2 MPTS.

C.