[mythtv] Compilation error with gcc 4.4 on FC4

Yoav Borer yoav.borer at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 16:08:14 EDT 2005

Hello,

I was setting up mythtv on FC4 with KDE as desktop.
Got the rpms from ATrmps and noticed there was no arts support.
So I got the source (mythtv-0.18.1.tar.bz2) and followed the
instructions but had two problems one in the configuration the other
in compilation.

First the configure script flagged arts support as 'no'.
This is the output of artsc-config:

-I/usr/include/kde/artsc -pthread -I/usr/include/glib-2.0
-I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include

and this is the test code:

#include <artsc/artsc.h>
int main(void) { return (int) ARTS_P_BUFFER_SIZE; }

as you can see, changing the include to <artsc.h> solved this problem.

The second one is a compilation error (using cc (GCC) 4.0.0 20050519
(Red Hat 4.0.0-8)):

in compilation of utils.c
In file included from avcodec.h:14,
                 from utils.c:27:
common.h:61: error: array type has incomplete element type
common.h:65: error: array type has incomplete element type

The compiler doesn't like the extern array declaration with the
forward declaration of the struct.

Should I be using a different version of the compiler for mythtv ?
Or any other instruction for building mythtv from source that I've missed ?

Thanks,
Yoav