[mythtv] Commercial Flagging Idea

Mac Michaels wmichaels1 at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 6 10:31:12 EDT 2005

On Wednesday 06 July 2005 08:29 am, James Armstrong wrote:
> Does the current commercial detection (Logo method)
> detect not only the channel logo, but the TV Rating logo?
> I have noticed that most of the shows in the US show the
> TV rating immediately after the commercials when the show
> resumes playing. It stays on the screen for about 5 to 10
> seconds then goes away. It won't help with detecting the
> beginning of the commercial but it would be a great way
> to know when the commercials end.
>
> - James

You may be on to something here. I don't know how the v-chip
works. Some research may be of value along this line as it
detects the TV Rating somehow. Is data sent during the
blanking interval that is used by the v-chip or does it
examine the video stream? Since advertisers always want
their stuff to be shown is there some special code that is
detected by the v-chip at the start of commercials? In the
US the FCC mandates the v-chip and requires all providers,
OTA and Cable, to transmit whatever the v-chip uses to
detect the rating for all shows.

I have seen some movie trailers shown as commercials that
contain a rating for the trailer.

-- Mac