[mythtv] Commercial Flagging Idea

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jul 5 08:35:40 EDT 2005

David Whyte wrote:

>On 7/5/05, David Miller <david3d at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I had an idea on a new commercial flagging technique which would
>>look at the average volume level of the audio between blank frames and
>>scene changes to help aid in commercial detection.  Since commercials
>>are typically much louder than a show.
>>
>I think this has already been suggested as an idea in the past.  It is
>a good idea though as it is a common characteristic of commercials.

And, when it was discussed, IIRC, it was determined that commercials are
not generally louder than the rest of the show, but only seem that way
due to normalization, compression, etc.  However, before and after a
commercial break, the audio volume seemed to "always" fall to
0--something that "never" happens, even in a silent scene of a show.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/85156#85156

and, see the links in

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/85521#85521

Mike