[mythtv] Re: Burning support

Alan Gonzalez alandgonzalez at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 22:41:30 EST 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:05:47 -0500, Isaac Richards <ijr at case.edu> wrote:
> On Thursday 27 January 2005 09:28 pm, Alan Gonzalez wrote:
> > Ok, I've looked through mfd, got some questions.
> >
> > So the tv recordings are stored on the backend.  mfd is supposed to
> > run on the backend with the frontend rewritten to request data from
> > mfd on some host?
>
> Ideally, a mfd would run on every host.
>
> > A frontend would send a request for metadata from mfd and then select
> > some shows to burn.  At this point it would send a request to the mfd
> > where the video lives to start a transcoding/conversion process on the
> > video and convert the video to a .iso.   Somehow we would get updated
> > status from mfd on the state of conversion also.  Then this iso is
> > streamed and to a mfd client where there is a dvd burner?
>
> Updated status like how the mtd does things now for dvd ripping status would
> work.  And yeah, I imagine that's how it'd work - transcode wherever it's
> stored, transfer it to a host with a burner, then burn it.  Or flip the first
> two to transcode on the burning host.  I'd think ripping would work the same
> way in reverse.

Ok thanks for the confirmation.  I understand better now.  Maybe we
could eventualy support a round robin type of check to see what mfd
supports the tools needed to dvd author correctly, and then the video
can be sent there and converted, and then sent back to the burner.
I'll initially have it convert the video on the machine with the video
source.  It's possible to later implement options that let the user
convert on a particular class of machine  or on one that's not
recording or something like that.  I guess that's a general
transcoding type of feature to have.