[mythtv] request: OSX mythfrontend and winmyth for CVS backend

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 27 13:30:37 EST 2005

On Thursday 27 January 2005 12:52, Jeremiah Morris wrote:
> On 13 Nov 2004, at 6:41 PM, Chris Petersen wrote:
>
> > I'm wondering if the maintainers of both of these projects would be
> > interested in offering cvs-compatible downloads for those of us who
> > run mythtv cvs.  I'd love to be able to try out both of these
> > programs, but since I have to keep my backend running cvs so I can
> > keep mythweb up to date, I'm unable to use either of them as soon as
> > the mythproto gets bumped (which is usually shortly after a
release).

> For this purpose, I'm now posting daily CVS snapshots of the OS X
> frontend at:
>
> http://whpress.com/mythtv/
>
> I have posted my Perl script for building these at the same site. The
> relative merits of OS X packaging choices have been discussed ad
> nauseam elsewhere; anyone unsatisfied with my downloads is invited to
> use my script as a basis for creating alternative distributions.
> Patches are welcome to make the script more flexible (or replace it
> with something better); if it can satisfy everyone adequately, we can
> distribute it with Myth in the contrib directory.

That's great, thanks Jeremiah.

A question (well, actually 2):

(1) Is building for non-altivec (i.e., G3) working?  At one point I
thought I was able to build on my G3 iBook by modifying config.h and
config.mak, but I can't seem to with CVS as of last week.  I know you
and Nigel have been working on incorporating all this into qmake, so
I'll try tonight with your script and latest CVS...

(2) What is the likelihood that the frontend code will ever be tweaked
to the point of being able to watch video via the frontend on a G3?

-JAC