[mythtv] MythMusic Compilation Artist Progress....

Colin Guthrie myth at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Jan 23 16:41:42 EST 2005

Hi,

Wendy Seltzer wrote:
> While we're talking about mythmusic database changes, I wonder whether
> it would be possible to build in an alternate schema for classical
> recordings.  I've been fudging things by remapping Artist => Composer,
> Album=>Title, Track=>Performers, but it would be more useful to have a
> few extra columns (Conductor, Orchestra/Ensemble, Soloists; or possibly
> even an extra joined table of Artists who could be matched as conductor,
> soloist, ensemble member).  It would also be useful either to offer "rip
> multiple tracks to a single file" or "always play these tracks together,
> in order."  I've been joining tracks so symphonies don't get shuffled
> out of order.   (Still haven't figured out why extra-long tracks kill
> mythfrontend.)
>
> There are currently about zero digital music players that support
> classical music well, but if this would fit in, I'd be willing to give
> it a shot.

Sounds like good suggestions. I reckon my current patch wont address
this (I think I'd like to try and finish it soon!!!!), but one of my
friends plays a lot of classical music so I could ask him all about the
pro/cons and perhaps look at a future adjustment.

With the album artist patch, you could possible use the compilation
artist to represent the composer as a stop gap solution? (although this
is stored in the ID3 tag as the frame TPE4 where TPE3 is more
appropriate for composer). Still it may be slightly more managable.

That's cool that you work for the EFF too. I was in London at the start
of December campaigning against EU SW Patents. Doning my bit :)

All the best

Col.