[mythtv] [patch] tab cleanup of libmyth

Anduin Withers awithers at anduin.com
Thu Jan 20 16:59:57 EST 2005

> No huge disagreement, but I think you are just picking holes in a fairly
> small change which is generously offered?

1) What I say makes no difference.

2) I'm not picking holes, just pointing out why it is generally better to be
cautious about checking in style only patches. We don't all work the same, I
find cvs annotate to be invaluable at times, even just for myth.

> Given the files in question, and the small number of lines affected is
> this really a problem, ie in general you might be right, but
> specifically in this case is it a problem?

Until the next patch fixing the next style issue. I'm actually pretty sure
there is already precedent for style only patches, I was simply trying to
voice another opinion and add another case (that for me is common) that
isn't solved by the "ignore whitespace" workaround.

> P.S. I think you are a bit unfair to ask him to review all the code and
> fix every standard problem before he can submit some small patch

I didn't ask that, it was an example of how ridiculous things could be, as
well as an example that isn't solvable by ignoring whitespace. What makes
whitespace more of a priority than other style conformity issues? My bet is
that people think it is innocuous, it isn't. Heck there are C++
pretty-printers, any style issues could be worked around with judicious use
of -p and them (only it would be a pain, much like whitespace only patches
can be).

--
Anduin Withers