[mythtv] HDTV CPU utilization

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Thu Jan 20 09:28:06 EST 2005

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 08:31:21PM -0600, Chris Mumford wrote:
>I still have to add up the columns 56.1% + 38.2% + 4.1% + 2.1% = 100.5%
>which makes sense since the best synthetic hyperthreading improvement was
>7%.

The improvement with HyperThreading is not a fixed amount.  It depends
on how much each thread being run is stalled (waiting for memory) vs.
getting useful work done, and also on the mix of instructions being
executed.  Myth seems to get a big boost from HyperThreading when
decoding MPEG2; some well-tuned software I use at work actually runs
*worse* with it on.

-Doug