[mythtv] RE: MythMusic segfault on empty playlists

Paul mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Jan 14 18:22:20 EST 2005

Dustin wrote:

>Thnx. I'll try it when I get home tonight.

>Are you (or a group including you) making significant changes to
>MythMusic right now? You had mentioned having a number of other
>changes.

>I had wanted to work on the playback interface, and started mucking
>around with some different layouts, but laid off when I saw the
>threads pointing at the mfd for future work. Just trying to get a
>feel for whether it'd be worthwhile to put the effort into MythMusic,
>or direct attention to mfd, or simply wait-and-see if there are enough
>cooks in the kitchen. Also very interested in dynamic playlists
>(analogous to iTunes Smart playlists). That was another area i
>started playing around with, but haven't made much useable progress on
>yet.

>thnx again,

>Dustin

Hi Dustin

I think Thor, who is one of the main developers working on the mfd
stuff, has said that development shouldn't stop on MythMusic and that
the best ideas will be ported over to the mfe. In any case there doesn't
seen to have been much progress made on the mfd/mfe stuff for the
past 3 months if the commits in the cvs are anything to go by. If you
have any ideas for improvements I am sure the list would love to hear
about them.

I am currently working on a Smart Playlists patch for MythMusic.
Not sure how Smart playlists work in iTunes, never used it, but
my patch allows you to create playlists that are dynamically created
by running a query on the musicmetadata table. It's almost finished just
needs cleaning up a bit and testing. It really needs to go into cvs after
the
compilation artist patch if it is accepted.

The only other development regarding MythMusic I know of is the
compilation artist patch by Colin which he sent to the dev list a few
day ago. See http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/101966
for more details.

A few ideas for future developments :-

What I and I think many other people would love to see is a better way
to browse though large music collections than the current playlist selection
screen. Not sure what form it should take though.

I would love to remove the need to load the entire music database into
memory when mythmusic starts. Not easy to do without making drastic
changes to the way MythMusic works.

Update  the goom visualizer to the latest version with new effects.

Add an overlay which is displayed over the top of the visualizer to display
a few details of the currently playing track when it changes. Not easy to do
because of the different methods used by each visualizer to display its
self.

Make it possible to find and download cover art from the web. Possibly
also download lyrics and artist profiles etc.

Paul