[mythtv] Re: mythmusic and LCDd segfault without LCDd OK

Allan Stirling Dibblahmythml0015 at pendor.org
Fri Jan 14 17:09:26 EST 2005

Eskil Heyn Olsen wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 00:26 +0000, Allan Stirling wrote:
>

>>  Didn't realise anyone else was working on the LCD code!
>>
>>I'm currently putting together a patch to remove the relics of
>>LCD_DEVICE (It's still present in globalsettings.cpp) and to make the
>>LCD device optional - ie following the code in AudioSettings to add just
>>one enable / disable tickbox that removes all of the rest if disabled.
>

> I'm not quite sure I follow you. Do you mean adding UI config options
> for the LCD device ?

Yup. Previously, it was possible to remove LCD support by removing
LCD_DEVICE from settings.pro. That flag no longer (really) does
anything, apart from removing the settings page, which I don't think was
intended :)

So, what I've done is add a tick box to the top to disable the whole
lot. This works and disappears the other items quite nicely - However,
I'm still learning my way around Myth (Only been looking for about a
year!), so I can't see the easiest way to disable the LCD appropriately
inside lcddevice.cpp. It surely should be as simple as my attached
patch. However, this breaks everything badly (segfaults on all menu
selections when LCD is disabled) - I get the feeling that a number of
things rely on the LCD being more 'valid' than this...

>...go a head with what you're doing. (I
> don't even know who's actually doing all the LCD work, you ?)

Nope. Not me.

> So far what I've been doing is ;
> - fixed screen priorities to work with LCDd cvs current, where a high
> number means high priority (mythtv right now uses low numbers, as the
> LCDd manpage describes??)
Cool. I've been thinking about doing this for a while (I have a driver
that was easier to patch in CVS) - However, you really should maintain
compatibility with -Current as well as CVS.

This was last time I looked at it difficult, since they changed the
protocol without updating the protocol version. Therefore, we have to
fingerprint it's responses to figure out which server version we are
talking to.

The rest sounds cool! The real reason I want a disable switch is as
above - I have LCDProc-CVS and the display doesn't work. Also, it's
creating 11 (!) timers that are just not required without an LCD
attached, as far as I can see.

Note to everyone: Don't apply this patch to anything you care about.

Cheers,

Allan.