[mythtv] new protocol

gettler at acm.org gettler at acm.org
Fri Feb 25 00:13:36 UTC 2005

So I've seen a lot of talk in the past week about the myth protocol.  Most
of it seems to either be centered around encapsilating it within some other
interface (ie, SOAP, java, etc), or in writing a new protocol to do what
the current one does.

However, is there any interest out there in writing a new protocol that is
able to give a remote frontend absolutely everything it needs to deal with
myth?  I've got my mvpmc project to the point where I can watch all my
recordings, delete them, see the upcoming recording schedule, and watch
live tv.  But that's it, because a lot of the other interesting things, like
commercial skip, are not available through the protocol.

If there isn't any interest, I suspect someone involved with mvpmc will
simply go off and write their own.  I've seen a few initial attempts at
this.  However, I would much prefer to see this done within myth itself,
since a new protocol would be beneficial to far more than the relatively
small number of users of mvpmc.

Besides, I know what my requirements in a protocol would be to make it work
nicely with an embedded frontend.  But I have no idea what the requirements
would be for someone with a lot more computing power.  So I really don't
want to venture off on my own and create a private protocol that is useless
to the greater myth community.

Any thoughts?  Any interest?

Jon