[mythtv] What can packagers/distro developers do to helpthestability of 'released' version of MythTV?

andrew burke burke at bitflood.org
Wed Feb 23 23:42:08 UTC 2005

> On Wednesday 23 February 2005 06:27 pm, Blammo wrote:
>> > I would be willing to help you convert from cvs to subversion,
>> possibly
>> > even offering to host the tree on a colo'd box.  I'd also be willing
>> > set up trac (http://www.edgewall.com/trac/) to help you manage
>> tickets,
>> > milestones and view the repository.
>>
>> That sounds like a great idea.
>>
>> I'd also be willing to help with hosting.
>
> There's no need to help with hosting.

My offer still stands in terms of converting to subversion/trac, along
with providing advice and help with maintaining the various branches.

David's proposal of accepting patches and applying to the releases would
be easier under this system.  It should allow for easier generation of
'point releases'.

Also, if you feel that the devs are burdened with this kind of thing,
perhaps you should think about recruiting a person to help you manage your
releases and branches.

I am very busy and so hesitate to just raise my hand, but I would be more
than willing to help out in that area if someone else wanted to coordinate
with me and handle some of the load.

I envision this responsibility as:

1) Maintain the release branches.
2) Apply critical fixes from devs and concerned citizens.
3) Test any applied patches as well as can be, or coordinate with
submittor on testing.
4) Generate new releases as necessary.
5) Eventually, handle packaging of releases.

andy