[mythtv] RE: Documentation

Wendy Seltzer wendy at seltzer.com
Tue Feb 22 23:41:21 UTC 2005

At 3:22 PM -0800 2/22/05, Nav Jagpal wrote:
>I've been researching various operating systems.
>
>I think for beginners, a Live-CD installation like Ubuntu or Knoppix
>might be easiest. Since they are both Debian based, we can use the
>Debian packages to install MythTV.
>
>I'm leaning towards Knoppix because it has the 2.4 kernel which is
>supported by MythTV... Not sure if 2.6 works (out of box) yet.

If you want to build on the work EFF has done, we just released a
"Cookbook"  describing step-by-step setup of MythTV for U.S. HDTV,
with KnoppMyth and the pcHDTV HD-3000 card.
<http://www.eff.org/broadcastflag/cookbook/>

We're encouraging people to build HDTV PVRs before the broadcast flag
outlaws manufacture of the tuners, and found that KnoppMyth offered
an easy and full-featured way to get there.

We'd be happy to see this document expanded to cover more of the
surrounding features of MythTV.

--Wendy
Wendy Seltzer -- wendy at seltzer.com || wendy at eff.org
Electronic Frontier Foundation
Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard Law School
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/seltzer.html