[mythtv] Please help me here: How to obtain a stable full frame rate?

Jeroen Brosens jeroen at fotoniq.nl
Mon Feb 21 22:21:40 UTC 2005

Terry Barnaby wrote:

> <snip>
>
>> Sigh. Must I really go and buy a relatively expensive PCI based
>> nVidia card to get proper 50 Hz image? I am open to all of your
>> ideas! Thanks a lot in advance,
>>
>> -- Jeroen
>

> Hi Jeroen,
>
> I had issues like this with MythTv on a Via M10K box (see:
> http://www.kingcot.eclipse.co.uk/unichrome/unichromeTvOut.html).
>
> In my case I now have good quality display on a TV with MythTv.
> Todo this I have:
> 1. The Via driver provides a VSYNC interrupt at 50Hz synchronised
>     to the output field rate, but not to the frame rate.
> 2. MythTv is set to bob-deinterlace via the VldXvMC driver.
>
> In my case this causes MythTv to send fields at 50Hz to the display
> frame buffer synchronsied with the TV display output. ie. The individual
> fields within the output frame buffer are updated independently.
>
> The TV output takes the fields from the display memory and outputs them
> to the TV. Note that the TV output is not syncronised to the frame rate,
> just the field rate.
>
> So, in general, MythTv can do what you want, but possibly not with the
> SiS drivers ...
>
> Terry

I found out now that I already visited your site before without knowing;
I downloaded your interlace_test.mpg clip to, well, test interlacing :)

I am *very* close to buying an nVidia card now, this is taking too much
time really. What I cannot understand either, is that up till now, no
one seems to have marked this issue as important. Is everybody just
taking slow frame rates and a blurry image for granted, not wanting the
best picture quality possible..?
I am really frustrated by the fact that bobdeint is the only filter that
gives smooth video AND the only one that doesn't work properly. I am
looking forward to some others' insights ;)

-- Jeroen