[mythtv] Schedule conflicts: Lost

Brad Templeton brad+mydev at templetons.com
Mon Feb 21 20:53:17 UTC 2005

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 09:57:43AM -0500, Jeff Clowser wrote:
> How hard would it be to code up a global setting that says something
> along the line of:
>
> - If 2 programs overlap by x minutes or less, record both, missing a
> small portion of one.  x could be a configurable setting, or something
> hardcoded but reasonable, like 5 minutes.
> - As for which program should be recorded during the overlap, it could
> be either the program that comes first timewise, or the program with the
> higher priority.  Maybe make the choice between these 2 options
> configurable - I'm not sure if it would be preferable to miss the
> beginning of a show vs the end, or to make sure I get all of the higher
> priority show.

Yet more config!

This is a hard problem because while it seems logical to let the
higher priority show "win" the reality is that a show missing its
ending is extremely frustrating, throw the remote at the TV frustrating,
while a show missing its beginning ranges from tolerable (because
shows are designed to let people tune-in mid-way) to just annoying
(Oh well, looks like I missed too much, I won't watch that or I'll
record it when it comes on again later.)

Of course the answer of "get more tuners" is not very satisfactory
either.

This is one of those things where you want a collaborative database,
that understands with shows how vital the start and end are.
Typical example -- last 5 minutes of 60 minutes = commercials.  First
30 seconds of Simpsons = Couch Gag.   Last 30 seconds of Elimination
Reality TV show -- parting words.  And so on.  There is no one answer.