[mythtv] 0.17 backend crashes

Michael Mansell registration at michaelmansell.com
Mon Feb 21 16:14:30 UTC 2005

I had exactly the same problem, with pretty much the same stack trace. It
appears to be a bug in the 4.1.x libmysqlclient library.

There was a patch listed earlier about a fix. Applying this fix has stopped
the crashing for me. Before applying the patch, I tried upgrading to 4.1.10
(the CVS branch), but it still crashed. The only difference I found was that
Jim indicated that the file was libmysql/my_init.c, while I found it at
mysys/my_init.c

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mike

See the post from Jim Perry:
---------------------------- cut -------------------------------
This is the fix I used (no guarantees!!) for mysql 4.1.7.  Maybe it's been
fixed in newer versions or maybe QT has stopped calling the embedded
calls...I don't know.  Hopefully it'll help somebody.  Worth a try if
you're segfaulting in mysqlclient.

 > Solution: edit libmysql/my_init.c
 > search for "my_once_free" (it only occurs once)
 > add "free_charsets();" immediately before it.
 > recompile, etc etc.

I posted the bug to http://bugs.mysql.com/7344 if you want to follow up,
but I don't think they understood my crappy explaination.  Oh, well.