[mythtv] innodb vs myism preformance

Daniel Manjarres danmanj at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 22:42:29 UTC 2005

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 23:30:03 -0500 (EST), Chris Pinkham
<cpinkham at bc2va.org> wrote:
> > 1) deleting a recording in progress: Accorrding to top(1) mysqld jumps
> > to 100% CPU usage while the frontend sits there not repainting the
> > screen. This takes 8-10 seconds to finish.
>
> Are you using 0.17 or current CVS?  This sounds nothing like either one
> of those versions.  My DB is on a slow Athlon 700, frontend is an even
> slower Celeron 466, and my backend is a P3-700 all using ext3 filesystems,
> and I don't see anything at all like what you describe.

2005-02-19 23:19:55.865 mythbackend version: 0.17.20050130-1 www.mythtv.org
2005-02-19 23:20:13.598 mythfrontend version: 0.17.20050130-1 www.mythtv.org

Well, I decided to rebuild the entire database to see if there may
have been a bug in mysql, or a problem with the database. Along the
way I found that the database evolution had silently gone weird, with
the schema claiming number to be one way, but actually being another
(with some indexes mising). Then just 15 minutes ago after
reconstructing the thing by hand the backend went crazy and
autoexpired 200GB of shows because they had "too many episodes" for
programs that had no episode limit set, so mythtv has fucked me today.

Feature request: if expiring would delete more than x% or n gigabytes
of shows ASK before doing it.