[mythtv] multiple privilege levels

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Fri Feb 18 00:26:20 UTC 2005

I'm hoping to build a MythTV system sometime soon, and if successful, would
be interested in having the entire family avail of the functionality.

However, having young children, there will probably be some things I record
that I don't necessarily want them to watch, and more importantly ;), would
not want them to accidentally delete any of my recordings while watching
their own.

I've been lurking on the list for a while, but apologize if I missed any
discussion related to this. I'm curious if there is any interest in
supporting multiple privilege levels/users/permissions?

One possibility would be a simple privilege level system where each level
could view/manipulate all recordings below it but none above. This could be
implemented on a per front-end basis, or include some type of
authentication/pin so a frontend could be switched between privilege
levels.

Another possibility would be actual users/roles with optional passwords
that can be selected on a front end so everyone could have their own set of
recordings, and optionally provide access to their recordings to other
users.

any comments?

Thanks much...

--
Paul B. Henson  |  (909) 979-6361  |  http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/
Operating Systems and Network Analyst  |  henson at csupomona.edu
California State Polytechnic University  |  Pomona CA 91768