[mythtv] 0.17 choppy video, artifacting and random drop to black frame during playback...

Josh mythtv2 at dalcher.com
Mon Feb 14 16:42:12 UTC 2005

Hello,
I recently upgraded from a working version of 0.16 to 0.17 and I am having
playback issues.  I see choppy playback, artifacting, and after about thirty
seconds of video playback (both recordings and LiveTV) I get a black screen
that will go away if I use the remote.  The playback still remains choppy
after this fact.

I have re-added suid root for mythfrontend, mythtv, and I have recently
restarted both the backend and frontend.  I'm seeing no anomolies in the logs
at all.

Could this be an ivtv issue, or is there something in my configuration that
needs to change?  I just did an apt-get install mythtv-suite and everything
appears to be kosher except for this playback problem.  The rest of my MythTV
settings did not change from my previously working 0.16 installation.

Here is the output of rpm -qa | grep ivtv

ivtv-firmware-dec-2.02.023-4.at
kernel-module-ivtv-2.6.8-1.521-0.1.10-48.3_pre2_ck100zz.rhfc2.at
ivtv-0.1.10-48.3_pre2_ck100zz.rhfc2.at
ivtv-firmware-enc-2.04.024-4.at
ivtv-firmware-1.8a-4.at
perl-Video-ivtv-0.13-6.rhfc2.at

My kernel version is: 2.6.8-1.521 running Fedora Core 2.

Thank you for the assistance, my wife is going crazy with this not working!
If you need any additional information to help me troubleshoot this problem,
please reply to josh at dalcher.com and I can get it for you.

--Josh Dalcher